National Geographic has been published continuously since its first issue in 1888. It primarily contains articles about geography, history, and world culture. The magazine is published monthly, and additional map supplements are also included with subscriptions. It is available in a traditional printed edition and through an interactive online edition. As of 2014, the magazine was circulated worldwide in 40 local-language editions and had a global circulation of 6.8 million per month. Its U.S. circulation is around 3.5 million per month. “National Geographic (Magazine)”. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Web. 16 Feb. 2015.
– Images are nicely aligned with text throughout all website pages. They bring a great visual add on to submenus, news, blog sections, large canvas are used to view National Geographic’s world renowned photography.
– Media. There is an entire video section, categorised and nicely structured. With one click it brings to Kids channel and National Geographic TV. Useful video search option is available as well. All content can be easily shared at major social media platforms, e-mailed or opened in a printer friendly version.
– Fonts. Three fonts used throughout all the pages – minimalistic Arial, Helvetica Neue and Minion Pro. Used typography styles are perfectly balanced and give an airy, uncluttered effect. Font sizes are comfortable to read, perfect use of subheadings.
– Layout. Space is ergonomically used, perfectly aligned sections with a balanced combination of text and images. Clear, self explanatory, easy to use vertical navigation with useful Home button, stand out Subscribe link and search section in the top right corner. Dropped down submenu is simple in making selections. Main content is centred and related material appears on the right hand side.
– Consistency. http://www.nationalgeographic.com is consistent with general practice of using other websites. There are obviously no new tricks to learn for using this website. It provides an easier and comfortable access to all key content areas.
- Single sign in/up and OpenID integration with leading social networks (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and others).
- Subscription option is highlighted and is simple to find,
- Contact Us is easy to find in the bottom menu,
- Easy to locate Sign in button and search tab,
- Related articles are automatically shown on the right hand side,
- Only one click needed to share, comment, follow and to print,
- Web pages are loading fast along with images, videos, maps and games,
- No matter how fare you go, there is always a Home button to go back,
- Useful submenu for planning trips, events, downloading applications, reading blogs, watching movies, etc.
- Quality and trusted articles and blog content. Posts are unique and created by highly qualified credited writers specifically for National Geographic published magazine and for online website. Content is consistent, educative, non promotional and easy to read, is reviewed by editors prior to publication,
- Great use of interactive content (voting on photos, user photo submissions, creating favourite image galleries, quizzes, maps, etc.),
- Content groupings by specific areas of interest,
- Informative and educational video materials and photos are uploaded directly to the website with all rights reserved. Video and photo materials are categorised, balanced and properly structured.
- Website brings a positive user experience, meets user needs, goes above and beyond expectations. Visual content and neat layout provides overall impression of professionalism and reliability,
- Content elements, fonts and backgrounds are used in efficient manner.
- Text is easy to scan and memorise,
- Vertical navigation provides easy browsing and effectiveness,
- No errors were detected,
- No prier experience needed to use the website, it is easy to search, read, watch for different age groups,
- Ergonomic variations of colour and type.